I thought i was the one

 Three years, To many red flags


Three years.

‎For three years, I loved you. I cared for you, understood you, trusted you, forgave you, and chose you every single day.

‎For almost three years, I thought you were mine. I thought I was the person you wanted to be with. I believed that every time you told me, “I love you so much,” you truly meant it.

‎I thought that as our relationship grew, your love for me grew too.

‎I never knew that while I was giving you my whole heart, you had already been hiding pieces of the truth from me.

‎When we were still getting to know each other, I didn't know that you were still talking to your ex. You were still having conversations and phone calls with her while I was slowly becoming serious about you.

‎While I was getting attached to you, you were still holding on to someone from your past.

‎I didn't know.

‎And when I finally found out, what hurt even more was realizing that it wasn't just a one-time mistake.

‎For one year and seven months of our relationship, you still loved your ex.

‎One year and seven months.

‎While I was building memories with you, thinking we were building a future together, you were still carrying feelings for someone else.

‎And I kept asking myself:

‎“Where was I in your life for those one year and seven months if you still loved your ex?”

‎Where was I while I was loving you?

‎Where was I while I was believing that I was enough?

‎Where was I while I was giving you everything I could?

‎Why was I the person you came home to?

‎Why did you look at me and tell me that you loved me so much?

‎Why did you hold me like I was the only person you wanted?

‎Why did you give me words that I believed if your heart was still somewhere else?

‎I thought your past was already over.

‎I thought after everything, you had finally chosen me.

‎But then you started working.

‎And there was someone new.

‎Your coworker.

‎Once again, your heart found someone else.

‎And once again, I asked myself:

‎“Where was I if you already loved your coworker?”

‎We had already been together for so long.

‎Almost three years.

‎Almost three years of memories, promises, arguments, forgiveness, laughter, and nights spent together.

‎Yet somehow, while I was still standing beside you, you found another person to have feelings for.

‎Why?

‎That question stayed in my mind for so long.

‎Why me?

‎Why did you stay with me if your heart was somewhere else?

‎Why did you keep coming home to me?

‎Why did you tell me you loved me?

‎Why did you make me believe that I was the one you chose?

‎Maybe that was the most painful part.

‎Not simply knowing that you had feelings for other people.

‎But knowing that while I was giving you my entire heart, you were repeatedly giving pieces of yours to someone else.

‎And every time I discovered another red flag, there was always an apology.

‎“I’m sorry.”

‎So I forgave you.

‎Then it happened again.

‎Another mistake.

‎Another apology.

‎Another promise.

‎And I forgave you again.

‎Until eventually, I started wondering if your apologies were truly because you regretted hurting me—or because you knew I would always forgive you.

‎I kept telling myself that maybe you would change.

‎Maybe this would be the last time.

‎Maybe after this, you would finally choose me completely.

‎Maybe someday, I would finally feel secure in your love.

‎But now I understand something.

‎I was never supposed to compete for a place in the heart of someone who was supposed to choose me freely.

‎I shouldn't have to compete with your ex.

‎I shouldn't have to compete with your coworker.

‎I shouldn't have to prove that I'm worthy of being loved.

‎Because if you truly chose me, I wouldn't have spent so much time asking myself:

‎“Where am I in your life?”

‎I should have known.

‎I should have felt it.

‎I should never have had to search for my place in your heart while you were making room for other people.

‎For three years, I loved you thinking that you were mine.

‎Now I realize that I never needed to own you.

‎All I ever wanted was to feel chosen.

‎I wanted to know that when you came home, you were coming home because you wanted me.

‎I wanted your words and your actions to match.

‎I wanted to feel that the person standing beside me was truly there with me—not physically present while their heart was somewhere else.

‎And maybe that's the hardest lesson I've learned.

‎Love isn't just about saying “I love you.”

‎It's about loyalty.

‎It's about honesty.

‎It's about making someone feel safe in the relationship.

‎It's about choosing the same person even when someone new comes along.

‎And if you couldn't give me that, then maybe I needed to stop asking myself why I wasn't enough.

‎Because maybe I was never the problem.

‎Maybe I was simply loving someone who didn't know how to love me the way I deserved.

‎So now, after almost three years, I'm finally choosing myself.

‎I will always remember the good moments we had. I won't pretend that the years meant nothing. They meant something to me because I genuinely loved you.

‎But I can't keep losing myself just to keep someone else.

‎And maybe someday, I'll finally stop asking:

‎“Why did you come home to me if you loved someone else?”

‎Maybe someday, I won't need an answer anymore.

‎Because the truth is, I deserved someone whose heart came home with them.

‎Not just their body.

‎Not just their words.

‎Their heart, too.

Comments

Popular Posts